Director of Development
Website Fox Valley United Way
Fox Valley United Way is committed to ensuring that all families in our communities have equitable access to opportunities and resources by investing in positive health, education, and financial outcomes.
Fox Valley United Way CEO
The Director of Development plays a key role in our mission and vision by developing and maintaining
strategic relationships with donors, foundations, corporations, and others, focusing on revenue
generation and retention. This individual is responsible for diversifying our donor base by recruiting new
funding sources. This may include cause-related marketing collaborations, corporate sponsorships,
philanthropic partnerships, and fundraising events. This position requires an entrepreneurial professional
with experience building such relationships and who will thrive in an outcome-driven environment. The
Director of Development must be a sophisticated communicator who can interact with various
stakeholders and individuals in various positions, from foundation board members to corporate CEOs to
small business owners and individuals interested in planned giving or legacy gift donations. A
commitment to the mission of Fox Valley United Way and the passion to serve others through
philanthropy is essential.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: (Essential functions of the job)
Annual Giving Campaign
- Create and manage the implementation of resource development strategies and campaign goals
to increase overall giving and annual revenues
- Conceptualize, develop, and execute effective giving strategies by identifying, contacting,
meeting/presenting, and cultivating new and existing donors, and sponsorships
- Explore grant opportunities through corporations and foundations
- Provide leadership, training, and support to corporate partners to engage employees year-round
through successful workplace campaigns, calls to action, and volunteer engagement
- Collaborate with the Director of Community Engagement to effectively communicate impact
strategies to raise visibility and improve donor confidence
- Collaborate with the Director of Community Engagement to develop marketing strategies and
- Manage the update and improvement of the donor database (Andar). Track and maintain accurate donor records and prepare reports on activity throughout the year.
- Identify and secure annual corporate sponsorship that supports impact initiatives
Planned Giving and Endowment
- Research and identify best practice approaches for establishing planned giving and endowment
- Conceptualize, develop, and execute effective fundraising events and experiences with specific
goals and objectives for increased revenue and engagement
- Develop and coordinate practical activities and events that generate in-kind and volunteer
- Secure sponsorships for activities and events
To perform this job successfully, the incumbent should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strategic Thinker – Ability to show progressive thinking, with an understanding of philanthropic
trends and best practices in donor-centered fundraising.
- Relationship Cultivation – Ability to engage and influence stakeholders. Ability to relate with a
diverse group of individuals or organizations.
- Teamwork Collaboration – Understands the importance of collective communication among the
- Interpersonal Skills – demonstrates comfort in socializing professionally in both intimate settings
and at larger social events
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Adaptability – adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, and
can deal with change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Self-sufficient – self-directed and takes the initiative on projects.
Incumbent must have a passion for working in a mission-driven organization.
Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or related field or equivalent experience
- Background raising revenue resources, with evidence of progressive growth
- Background in coordinating fundraising events
- Understanding of philanthropic trends and best practices in donor-centered fundraising
- Excellent relationship cultivation skills, ability to engage and influence stakeholders
- Experience working with volunteers and committees
Flexibility to work occasional night and weekend hours may be required to successfully complete FVUW
activities and events.
This job description is intended to convey the essential functions of this position, and it is not intended to
be an exhaustive list of skills, duties, responsibilities, or working conditions associated with the position.
For more information about this opportunity, contact Deborah Rudel
To apply for this job please visit foxvalleyunitedway.org.